November 30, 2010

December 1, 2010: World AIDS Day

In 1996, I volunteered with a program that worked to make children and families infected and affected with HIV/AIDS smile. We took their minds off their illness and reminded them that in the midst of everything, they still had a life to live. We wanted them to live it while laughing. Before working with the program, I was pretty ignorant to the disease. I never knew anyone who was infected or understood fully how hard it was to live in a world where people shunned you simply for being HIV+.

Between now and then, I have lost many to this dreadful illness. It angers and disgusts me that this virus still exists in this world. If I could have one wish, it would be for a cure. That is all. I have seen the face of HIV and AIDS and it looks just like me. These people are not bad. They are not evil. They are beautiful. They are precious. They are battling day in and out with something that is constantly fighting against them.

The number of people dying from the disease is decreasing, but AIDS is still killing millions of people across the world and the number of new cases of HIV is still entirely too high. Not everyone has the money that Magic Johnson has to take the meds that make him "look healthy." However, there are many drugs that regular people can afford that can prolong their lives. HIV is not a death sentence like it was back in the day. You can live a long life if you begin your treatment early.

With that said, all I want for Christmas this year is for you to...

1. Know your status. Get tested today!
2. Use condoms. ALWAYS protect yourself.
3. Embrace someone infected with HIV/AIDS. They need love too.

AND...

If you are infected, do not give up hope. Live each day to the fullest because I believe in miracles...

Please visit http://www.worldaidsday.org/ for more information on how you can spread awareness and get involved in the fight for a cure.

*Sweet P*

1 comment:

  1. RIP to all those who have passed on as a result of this disease (those I know, and those I don't). Shout out to all those still living everyday with HIV. Like anything, there are always good and bad days.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of my post? Be honest ;)