November 4, 2010

Please send congratulations, not condolences

So yesterday I announced the wondrous engagement of my sister...

Steph and Brolaw got congratulations. Mom got congratulations. Even Dad, who...well....He got congratulations. I on the other hand had several calls from family wanting to "see how I was doing." WTF!!! How am I doing? What do you mean? She's my sister and I am happy for her. Excited that she found such an amazing man to spend the rest of her life with. But no, my family wants to waste my time babbling on and on about how "my time is coming."

Now this is what I was afraid of. At my cousins wedding a couple weeks ago, if one more person said to me when are you getting married or when is your big day, I was going to take my 3-inch heel and stab them in the eye. Why is it that someone else's life puts the spotlight on what I DON'T have in my life. Can we focus on the MPH after my name and not the MRS that's missing before it? Don't get me wrong, I am human and yes all these engagements and weddings increase my desire to be in a relationship and to be loved by one man. However, it also increases my desire to hold out for the real thing. I have seen love and I refuse to settle for anything less.

There is a line from the last "Twilight" saga where the wolfboy tells the stupid vamp groupie, "It would be as easy as breathing with me." That has stuck with me ever since. I have dated men that make me have asthma attacks. Currently, there is no one around and I breathe deep. The man who comes into my life that God has kept for me will make sure I never have to use my inhaler again.

Being single is HARD!!! I wish people would be more sensitive and understanding. Yesterday was supposed to be a happy day and it did start out that way, but I did have moments of wishing I was in a bubble far far away, unable to communicate with ANYONE. I only had 2 calls today. I wish I had a way to screen my calls with a vmail that said, "If you are calling to rejoice with me in my sister's happiness, hang up, call back and I'll answer. However, if you are calling to check on me because she's younger than me and getting married before me and I am 30+ and still single and with no kids, hang up, go to the nearest bridge and jump off please. Thanks!"

Woooooosahhhhh!

*Sweet P*

11 comments:

  1. You are hilarious but this is toooo true!
    -V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you and I truely understand....Remember that GOD is preparing the RIGHT Man for you. It is coming at the right time. Continue to enjoy like Ms. Sexy P.

    CONGRATULATIONS to YOU!!! You are representing the 30+ Club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you and I truely understand....Remember that GOD is preparing the RIGHT Man for you. It is coming at the right time. Continue to enjoy LIFE, Ms. Sexy P.

    CONGRATULATIONS to YOU!!! You are representing the 30+ Club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you. My sister is younger than me and engaged to be married. I think it's human nature to have that anticipation and desire for it to be you and no need to apologize for that. For those that are currently engaged or married, they need to remember that at one point in time, they too were wondering, "When is my time going to come?" I think we must celebrate with those as if it were ours and in due time ours will come. God put the desire in us not to keep it from being fulfilled and to put us in a state of constant longing but so that he could fulfill it in only a way that he can.
    Congratulations for being a beautiful independent black woman that is able to stand on her own and hold out for the right person. My Condolences to all those that decide to settle simply because they get tired of waiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what Natalie said. Also, I'm gonna quote a friend who sent this to me last night "its better to be single than with the wrong man smothering you. I read something that said when your single there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but if your married to the wrong person its all black for the rest of your life. But God's plans and God's timing."

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Cali.... Im bout to propose to you will you accept....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big thanks and love to all of you for the support and encouragement.

    @Shelle Belle, I love that...Sexy P it is from now on ;)

    @Nat, you and I are part of the "I rather be single than settle club."

    @Steph, thank you for pushing me to speak out for my cause. I think I'm gonna have a million single black women walk next year. Too bad you won't be able to come ;-)

    @Cali, I DO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Cali see wasn't that hard. Now pick a date....lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. You spoke the truth and I so agree with Natalie...the engaged and married forget the times when they were single and wondering. I am sooooooo happy for Stephanie and Will and can't wait to witness that union. Sorry you have to endure those calls, but so proud of you for putting them on blast because it needs to be said! Love ya sis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you have a single women march next year, I'm still coming for support. I'll have my boom box like Radio Raheem blasting Bey's "Single Ladies".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for adding to the hatership. But your time is coming! In the meantime keep being a beacon and never turn down your light

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of my post? Be honest ;)