April 23, 2010

Forget the wedding. Focus on the marriage.

Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon got married in 2008. Since then, every year they have renewed their vows on their anniversary and each year he has gotten her a new and even bigger ring. Once upon a time before I knew better, I would think this was so sweet and romantic. TODAY, it’s just plain stupid!

People get so caught up in the wedding and forget to feed their marriage. Why do you need to have a huge event for everyone else to celebrate you? It’s only been 2 years! Why do you need to renew your vows? They should be memorized by now—you just said them last year and the year before that!!! How much is too much?

I used to think of a wedding with 500+ people, a huge wedding party, an elaborate reception and a dress that is fit for the runway…then I woke up from the dream and began to think of the type of man I want to build my life with. My friend, my lover, my companion, my everything that God made just for me. That is what is important. The day we decide to unite as one and live the rest of our days making sure that BOTH of us are happy; that our family is solid; that anything that comes to try to break us down is stomped like a cockroach.

Who cares about the wedding; it’s the marriage that matter most! Now don’t get me wrong, I still want the dress, but it won’t cost me the price of my car. I still want the guests and the reception, but it will be our closest family and friends and will be a party for US that they will share in. I don’t want my husband to spend the resources that he has built up for us to live a secure life on a ring that is just is a symbol of the union between us both. I don’t even wear rings now, so why would I need a rock so big that I would be scared to wear it out of the house. I can’t believe that I’m even saying this, but that’s what age and wisdom will do to you. With that said……

5 MORE DAYS UNTIL MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! Do the dance…do the dance ;)

4 comments:

  1. I agree, totally about the marriage, not the wedding. I am learning that more and more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not goin to the Justice of the Peace, I still want the wedding of my dreams where all my friends and close family can share the moment with me. I just know I'm not goin over the top. A lot of folks gonna be mad that they can't get a "Plus 1". Unless you contributing, then be happy you getting an invite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very surprising to hear coming from a woman. Most women care more about the ring and wedding than the marriage. Don't get me wrong I enjoy wedding been to a couple been part of a couple more. But I'm a justice of the peace man and a nice dinner with you closest friends and family. With that money u save buy yourselves a house or fund it for the kids. As for the ring (engagement) that Jared and Kay making a big deal about nothing. Really what does an engagement ring represent. Nothing! Except some fool went broke so his future wife can show her friends. Now the band is the key that is worth the price of admission. But that's just me ill let my wife plan the wedding ill look forward to the 55+ years after!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will...hogwash! I hear what you are saying, but I know you don't mean it. I think men love the day more than women. Its the day that you stand with the woman you love before the other people you love and begin your new life. I will remind you when you get all caught up in colors and flowers that you wanted the justice of the peace at one time. Whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know right! Don't pay him any attention. He brings it up more than I do.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of my post? Be honest ;)