May 23, 2011

My Public Service Announcement to Parents

I have one request of every parent in the world. I don't care if you are a biological parent, adoptive parent, single parent, step-parent, play parent, divorced parent, or someone who acts as a parent or mentor in a child's life. All I ask is that you show that young person the love and attention that they crave. I don't care about how bad your day is, how little time you have, all the stuff on your to-do lists that needs to be done....none of that matters. That bad is gonna pass, but how you treat your child on that day will stay with them forever. Children don't understand about everything that you have going on in your life. All they care about is that you love them and express your love for them with a smile, a hug, a "Have a nice day," an "I'm so happy to see you," etc.

See my childhood wasn't all that great. This weekend I got to thinking what a difference it would have made to hear I love you or I appreciate you or I'm so happy you are my daughter or you are pretty from BOTH parents. When a parent shows indifference or anger towards their child it leaves a mark. It saddens me that right now I cannot think of one endearing movement that I shared with my father. I think if he showed me more affection when I was younger, I would be a different person today. Actually, I know that to be a fact. It took me a long time to heal from my past. Each day brings me closer to the point of being somewhat whole, but memories from my childhood will forever leave me somewhat broken.

How can you be broken and happy at the same time? See, I've grown to understand that how I was treated is not who I am. I also had the love of my mother that helped shape me into a strong woman. My mother was always there. Her love for me and my sister is undying and unconditional. Thank God I had that growing up. I cry now for those children who don't feel valued by either parent. I don't care how many times they act like they are okay or how big their smile is...they are dealing with a pain that could manifest into something so evil.

So I implore you spend more quality-time with your children. When your child comes to you with a book to read or a picture that they drew, stop everything that you are doing and listen. When you pick up your child from school, greet them with a hug and a kiss. Ask them how their day was and listen. At dinner, cut off the television and eat at the dinner table. Create an atmosphere of family-time and listen to what is going on in the life of your child. It's the little things that you leave people with that matter. Not money or fancy clothes. My favorite part of my childhood was my mother reading to me at night. She's the reason why I was reading before everyone else in kindergarten and the reason why I love to read and write. Imagine if at the end of her day she went to her room and just watched television....

*Sweet P*

2 comments:

  1. I am deeply sorry you and Babygurl (your sister) had to go through that in your lives. No person should have to go through that from anyone. But I am happy and thrilled that the both of you became the smart, beautiful, and Georgeous (can't believe I used that word) that you have become and are. And though I'm not a father, i failed @ my attempt to be one, nor a father figure, I would like to tell you both "I LOVE YOU BOTH and I am PROUD of who are, and look forward to what you are going to become. I'm glad my children will have you both in there lives and I know for sure they will receive the love they deserve. Thank you both, a special thanks to mom, and I thank God for the honor and privilege to have you all as a part of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brolaw thank you so much for that. I love you more!!

    I'm grateful for your parents because they made you this wonderful, loving man that you are today. However, you are wrong about one thing, you did not fail at being a good father figure. Your bond with "your son" is undeniable. Please know that your presence in his life planted a seed that will allow him to grow to be a special young man that will show others the same love you bestowed upon him. The person who failed him is his mother and I'm praying that one day she will learn to put her children's needs before her own. I look forward to the rest of the journey with our family. The many smiles and hugs. The sound of laughter. The pure joy. And most importantly the unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of my post? Be honest ;)