December 2, 2011

HIV+ Boy Denied Admittance to School...That ish CRAY!!!

WASHINGTON POST ARTICLE: 13-year-old HIV+ denied admission to private school

When I heard about this story on the news, I thought that my ears were deceiving me. That in this day and time we are refusing education to people based on ignorance. I think that this is timely with yesterday being World AIDS Day. Just goes to show you how uninformed many people are about this disease. How can you deny this young man an education? He was born with this illness and if anything the students are more of a threat to him with their colds and chicken pox than he is to them. Will they be sharing needles or having unprotected sex in class?? This aggravates me...

I applaud this family for being open and informing the school of his diagnosis. Situations like this are why the stigma remains today and many people do not disclose their illness or don't get tested because they don't want to know. My question for the school administration is how many of your students are currently infected that you don't even know about??

Educate yourself people!

Today I pray for this young man. That he may not feel ashamed or isolated because of his illness. That he knows he has a wonderfully, blessed life ahead of him. That he uses this situation to gain strength to continue to do the great work he's already doing and prove to the world that regardless of his diagnosis, he can do anything he sets his mind to. AMEN...


1 comment:

  1. Really? Again new day. Ryan white would be rolling in his grave if he heard of such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of my post? Be honest ;)