December 1, 2011

Watch "Keep a Child Alive" on Showtime Tonight!!

“Keep a Child Alive” with Alicia Keys is the story of five Americans who win the chance to travel to South Africa with their favorite superstar, Alicia Keys as she visited “Keep a Child Alive,” funded sites in Johannesburg and Durban. In the heady atmosphere of the first World Cup on African soil, the five winners are overwhelmed by the sorrow they encounter and the incredible beauty of the people they meet. With Alicia as their guide, they are transported from lives of plenty to lives of interrupted. Watch their journey and try not to care. Click here for more information on the program and show times.

I will definitely be tuning in and will provide a blog on my perspective. The epidemic is disheartening in the US, but to see how the disease is basically seen as a death sentence in Africa is devastating. On the forum that I am watching now, one woman on the panel stated that many Africans do not want to even learn of their HIV status because there are no drugs or treatments available to them. Breaks my heart…Funny, some things that I've been concerned with this week seem so silly and trivial to me now. I’m sure some folks would love to have the problems I have. Just reminds me that in all things—BE GRATEFUL.

SN: This forum has AWESOME!! I am happy to see people discussing the issues and putting a plan of action into place. For too long it has been seen as a poor people's or gay person's disease....HIV/AIDS affects us all on so many levels. You do not have to know someone living with the illness or lose someone special to the disease for it to matter to you. If you care about anything outside of yourself, you will do something. Even if it is just wearing a ribbon or educating yourself or wearing a condom or donating to the cause or GETTING TESTED...play a part in helping to eradicate this world of this disease that I hate more than anything in the world.

Okay gotta go...my former Pres Bill Clinton is speaking now. That's my boo LOL!

Sweet P

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of my post? Be honest ;)